The SMC reset is used to solve a lot of issues that appear to be hardware related like unexpected shutdowns or the computer not starting, incorrect display, heavy fan use, or the computer not charging.
Before performing the SMC reset there are a few steps you should make sure you have completed first, such as:
- Force quit any non-responsive applications by using Option-Command-Escape and selecting any of the non-responsive applications and force quitting them.
- Put the computer to sleep and wake it again.
- Choose to shut down from the Apple menu and restart the computer once it has shut down completely.
- If the computer isn’t responding and you have tried force quitting all non-responsive applications you may need to force shutdown by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds. Any unsaved work that you have will be lost if this is required.
How to Perform the SMC Reset
- Shut down the computer.
- Unplug the power cord.
- Wait 15 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back in.
- Wait 5 seconds and then start the computer.
MacBook Computers without a removable battery
- Shut down your Mac.
- Using the built-in keyboard press and hold the Shift-Control-Option keys on the left-hand side of the keyboard while the power button is pressed. Hold the keys for ten seconds.
- Release all the keys. (The computer should stay off).
- Press the power button again to turn the computer on.
MacBook Computers with a removable battery
- Shut down your Mac.
- Disconnect the Power cord and remove the battery.
- Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
- Reinstall the battery.
- Press the power button to turn the computer on.
Another reset that is often performed in conjunction with the SMC reset is the PRAM reset, which you can learn how to do on my PRAM reset guide. I hope that this has resolved your issue but if you need to get more information about the SMC reset visit the Apple Support page “How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac“.
All content on my website is provided for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Apple Mastery and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.